CD 35 Years of Stony Plain [Box] (CD 7042460),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
35 Years of Stony Plain [Box]
0. DISC 1: SINGERS, SONGWRITERS AND MUCH, MUCH MORE...:
1. Diplomat, The - Maria Muldaur
2. Wildcat, The - Jeff Healey
3. Looking for a Brand New World - Harry Manx/Kevin Breit
4. Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier - Corb Lund
5. Ben McCulloch - Steve Earle
6. Blaino's Song - Ian Tyson
7. Country Music Lament - Tim Hus
8. Still in the Running - Valdy Fjellgaard/Gary Fjellgaard/Valdy & Gary Fjellgaard
9. Canary Yellow Car - Ray Bonneville
10. That's Your Red Wagon - Asleep at the Wheel
11. Strictly from Dixie - Sunny & Her Joy Boys
12. Get Way Back - Amos Garrett
13. Bend a Little - David Wilcox
14. Shivers - New Guitar Summit
15. Our Station - Spirit of the West
16. Wheels - Emmylou Harris
17. Four Strong Winds - Blue Rodeo
18. Closer to Heaven - Rodney Crowell
19. Dreaming - Bob Carpenter (previously unreleased)
20. Magdelana - Bob Carpenter (previously unreleased)
21. Chameleon Man - Bob Carpenter (previously unreleased)
0. DISC 2: BLUES, R&B, SWING, JAZZ AND EVEN MORE...:
1. Stomp the Blues Tonight - Duke Robillard
2. Black Widow Spider - Joe Louis Walker
3. Moten Swing - Duke Robillard/Jay McShann
4. Heaven Send Me an Angel - Kenny "Blues Boss" Wayne
5. Dirty, Dirty People - Doug James/Sugar Ray Norcia
6. I'm Torn Down - Jeff Healey
7. No More Doggin' - Rosco Gordon
8. Teardrops on Your Letter - Doug Sahm/Gene Taylor/Amos Garrett
9. Miracle - Ronnie Earl/The Broadcasters
10. Mississippi Man - Rory Block
11. Police and High Sheriff - Big Dave McLean
12. Gallows Pole - Long John Baldry
13. Honey Do Woman - Sonny Rhodes
14. Crawling King Snake - Ellen McIlwaine
15. Hello Stranger - Billy Boy Arnold
16. Ain't Broke and Ain't Hungry - King Biscuit Boy (previously unreleased)
17. Nighthawk Boogie - Robert Nighthawk (previously unreleased)
18. I'm Gonna Murder My Baby - Robert Nighthawk (previously unreleased)
19. You Missed a Good Man - Robert Nighthawk (previously unreleased)
20. Backwater Blues - Robert Nighthawk (previously unreleased)
0. DISC 3: VIDEOS, HOT DOCS AND DVDS TO GO...:
1. Tour of the Stony Plain Offices, A
2. Like a Hurricane - Jeff Healey
3. Going to Kansas City - Jay McShann/Johnnie Johnson
4. Bobby's Bop - Ronnie Earl/The Broadcasters
5. Workin' Hard for My Uncle - Duke Robillard
6. Truth Comes Out, The - Corb Lund
7. Springtime in Alberta - Ian Tyson
8. Bop 'til I Drop - Donnie "Mr. Downchild" Walsh/Downchild Blues Band
9. Shake That Thing - Long John Baldry
10. I'm So Glad - Jr. Gone Wild
11. After the First Time - Paperboys
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): SPCD1354
Doug Coleman; Connie Edwards; Holger Petersen (Compilation)
Liner Note Authors: Richard Flohil; Holger Petersen.
Recording information: 1965-2011.
Photographer: Mark Dutton.
Founded by Holger Petersen in 1976, the independent Canadian label Stony Plain Records has devoted itself to what it defines as roots music: folk, country, and blues, along with related subgenres. 35 Years of Stony Plain is a two-CD, one-DVD set chronicling the label's history, with tracks actually going back more than ten years prior to its formation (a quartet of previously unreleased Robert Nighthawk performances from 1965). But that is not to say that it provides a balanced sampling of Stony Plain recordings over three-and-a-half decades, nor is it intended to. In fact, the label issues this sort of compilation every five years, so this one is, naturally, tipped heavily toward what has come out since 2006. And that's quite a batch of material. It includes the work of flagship artists like Maria Muldaur and Ian Tyson, as well as some brand names the label has had the chance to distribute in Canada, including Steve Earle, Asleep at the Wheel, Emmylou Harris, and Rodney Crowell. Sadly, the five-year period also marked the death of guitarist Jeff Healey, who is remembered by both audio tracks and a video tribute. These artists are featured on the first disc, dubbed "Singers, Songwriters and Much, Much More.." The second disc, "Blues, R&B, Swing, Jazz and Even More." also includes Healey, as well as Stony Plain's blues main man Duke Robillard, Rory Block, Ronnie Earl & the Broadcasters, Long John Baldry, and the trio effort the Amos Garrett, Doug Sahm, and Gene Taylor Band. The DVD is a video scrapbook also featuring a tour of the Stony Plain offices and interview with Petersen, as well as a collection of music videos. The result is a thorough look at Stony Plain Records' ambitions and accomplishments over the 35 years, with special emphasis on the last five. ~ William Ruhlmann
Mojo (Publisher) (p.99) - 3 stars out of 5 -- "The Edmonton, Alberta indie celebrates past and present with two CDs, from its kaleidoscopic back catalogue..."
Be The First To Write A Review
Stony Plain (Canada) SP 1354
Alternative Dis. Alliance
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.