CD Epitaph for a Legend [Digipak] (CD 6883601),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Epitaph for a Legend [Digipak]
0. DISC 1:
1. Night Time - Chayns
2. In My Own Time - The Patterns (previously unreleased)
3. I Tried So Hard - The Chaparrels (previously unreleased)
4. Part of You, A - Thursday's Children (previously unreleased)
5. If I Were a Carpenter - The Rubayyat
6. Poor Planet Earth - Sonny Hall
7. Communication Breakdown - Inner Scene (previously unreleased)
8. Hurricane Fighter Plane - The Red Crayola (previously unreleased)
9. Pink Stainless Tail - The Red Crayola (previously unreleased)
10. Nickle Niceness - The Red Crayola (previously unreleased)
11. Vile, Vile Grass - The Red Crayola (previously unreleased)
12. Transparent Radiation - The Red Crayola (previously unreleased)
13. I Want My Woman - The Emperors
14. 25 M.P.H. - The Lost and Found (previously unreleased)
0. DISC 2:
1. Breakfast in Bed - Big Walter Price (previously unreleased)
2. C.C. Rider - Dave Allen (previously unreleased)
3. Saturday A.M. Blues - Dave Allen (previously unreleased)
4. Conversation with Lightnin' Hopkins - Lightnin' Hopkins (previously unreleased)
5. Black Ghost Blues - Lightnin' Hopkins (previously unreleased)
6. Interview with Roky - Roky Erickson
7. You're Gonna Miss Me - The Spades
8. We Sell Soul - The Spades
9. Splash 1 - Roky Erickson/Clementine Hall (previously unreleased)
10. Right Track Now - Roky Erickson/Clementine Hall (previously unreleased)
11. Wait for My Love - The 13th Floor Elevators (previously unreleased)
12. 60-Second Radio Spot for "Bull of the Woods" - The 13th Floor Elevators
13. Fire Engine - The 13th Floor Elevators (previously unreleased)
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): SNAX620CD
Performers include: The Patterns, Sonny Hally, 13th Floor Elevators.
This release features a special gatefold LP-style CD sleeve.
Liner Note Author: Jon Savage .
Editor: Greg Turner.
The Texas-based International Artists label recorded some intriguing, slightly off-the-wall psychedelic-garage-pop in the 1960s, their most famous act being the 13th Floor Elevators. This is an erratic but extremely interesting double-LP compilation of IA oddities and rarities, much of it previously unreleased. The five Red Krayola demos (some of which would be re-recorded for their first LP) are prime acid folk, especially "Hurricane Fighter Plane," one of the closest American approximations of Syd Barrett-era Pink Floyd. The Chapparrals' "I Tried So Hard" is gutsy punk-pop, Thursday's Children's "A Part of You" is reminiscent of the mid-period Zombies, and the Emperors' "I Want My Woman" is growling garage punk. Side four is devoted entirely to 13th Floor Elevators/Roky Erickson rarities, including a beautiful acoustic version of "Splash I" and the rare single by Roky's pre-Elevators group the Spades. In this company, side three -- which has unexceptional straight blues material, including a song by Lightnin' Hopkins -- is a misfit, but psychedelic collectors will want the record for the rock material. ~ Richie Unterberger
Record Collector (magazine) (p.97) - 3 stars out of 5 -- "[T]he gnarly 'I Tried So Hard' by The Chapparrals and a mono mix of the magnificently orgiastic 'Fire Engine' by the Elevators."
Be The First To Write A Review
Charly Records (UK) SNAX620CD
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright