CD Garagemental!: The Cuca Records Story, Vol. 2 (CD 113152),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Garagemental!: The Cuca Records Story, Vol. 2
1. Crystal Palace - Scarlet Henchmen
2. She's Mean - Joey Gee & The Come-Ons
3. Salem Witch Trial, The - Kiriae Crucible
4. Till the End of Time - Joey Gee & The Come-Ons
5. Don't Know What I'd Do - Wanderer's Rest (previously unreleased)
6. Don't Follow Me - Trodden Path
7. Keep Me Hangin' On - Trodden Path (previously unreleased)
8. Is Love Real - Henchmen VI
9. All of the Day - Henchmen VI
10. In This World I Need Love - Trodden Path (previously unreleased)
11. Decide - Willing Mind
12. Love Is a Beautiful Thing - Wanderer's Rest
13. Challengers Take a Ride on the Jefferson Airplane, The - The Challengers
14. Shakin' All Over - Raylene & The Blue Angels
15. Gimme Some Lovin' - Sundog
16. Jenny, Jenny - Joey Gee & The Come-Ons (previously unreleased)
17. Little Latin Lupe Lu - Joey Gee & The Come-Ons
18. Boat That I Row, The - Wanderer's Rest
19. Feel a Whole Lot Better - Hitchikers
20. You'll Forget - Wanderer's Rest
21. World Full of Dreams - Sandmen
22. In Good Time - Wanderer's Rest (previously unreleased)
23. When I See That Girl of Mine - The Plague
24. Can't You See - Trodden Path
25. One Too Many Mornings - Hitchikers
26. What Am I Gonna Do - Seltaeb
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 1113
Personnel: Dick Lane (vocals, guitar); Paul Marquardt (vocals, tambourine); Jimmy Johnson , Joe DeHut (guitar); Art Moinlenen (organ); Pat Clark, Bob Durant, Rodney Butler (bass guitar); Dick Middleton, Mark Johnson , Jay "Icepick" Jackson (drums).
Liner Note Author: Rob Finnis.
Based in Sauk City, WI, the Cuca label was so small it made barely any commercial impact, even on a regional level (its big claim to fame was releasing the original version of the Fendermen's "Mule Skinner Blues," which became a big hit when it was re-recorded shortly afterward in 1960.) The label did, however, release many recordings in the '60s. Not all of those were of rock music, but this 26-track collection, Garagemental!: The Cuca Records Story, Vol. 2, focuses on the garage rock and psychedelic music Cuca issued in the mid- to late '60s, most taken from rare singles, with five of the cuts previously unreleased. Like many such efforts undertaken in small towns by obscure bands of the era, these are more reflections of how big trends were mimicked and trickled all the way down to young local acts far removed from the action than they are repositories of innovative obscure gems. As such documents go, however, this anthology isn't bad, piling on more evidence of how British Invasion, folk-rock, and psychedelic sounds mutated into something more naive and amateurish (if energetic) when it reached the hinterlands. Echoes of Merseybeat, the Byrds, Paul Revere & the Raiders, and one- or two-shot psychedelic pop bands like the Strawberry Alarm Clock and the Electric Prunes abound, even if none of the songs are outstanding. Sometimes, unsurprisingly for those who've heard a lot of this stuff, the material becomes quite derivative: it's easy to mistake "Is Love Real" for a cover of the Nightcrawlers' "Little Black Egg" until the singing starts. There are also some not-so-hot covers of songs by much bigger artists, though the Hitchhikers get points for doing a folk-rock treatment of a Bob Dylan song that wasn't often rocked up ("One Too Many Mornings"), and the lead female vocals and horns on Raylene & the Blue Angels' "Shakin' All Over" make for a nice change of pace in this company. The Challengers' instrumental "The Challengers Take a Ride on the Jefferson Airplane" takes the prize for psychedelic outrage, both for its song title and its deranged combination of fuzz guitar, pounding piano, and washing-machine-tumble percussion. ~ Richie Unterberger
Be The First To Write A Review
Ace (Label) 1113
E1 Distribution (USA)
Out of Stock
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright