CD Garcia Plays Dylan (CD 531195),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Garcia Plays Dylan
0. DISC 1:
1. It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry - (previously unreleased)
2. Tough Mama - (previously unreleased)
3. Positively 4th Street - (previously unreleased)
4. Wicked Messenger, The - (previously unreleased)
5. Knockin' on Heaven's Door - (previously unreleased)
6. Simple Twist of Fate - (previously unreleased)
7. I Shall Be Released - (previously unreleased)
0. DISC 2:
1. When I Paint My Masterpience - (previously unreleased)
2. She Belongs to Me - (previously unreleased)
3. Forever Young - (previously unreleased)
4. Tangled Up in Blue - (previously unreleased)
5. Seor (Tales of Yankee Power) - (previously unreleased)
6. Visions of Johanna - (previously unreleased)
7. Mighty Quinn, The (Quinn the Eskimo) - (previously unreleased)
8. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue - (previously unreleased)
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 73263
Peter Mcquaid (Compilation); Blair Jackson (Compilation)
Tributee: Bob Dylan.
Personnel: Jerry Garcia (vocals, guitar); Jerry Garcia; Bob Weir (guitar); Martin Fierro (saxophone); Keith Godchaux (piano, background vocals); Nicky Hopkins (piano); Merl Saunders (organ); Melvin Seals, Ozzie Ahlers, Vince Welnick, Brent Mydland (keyboards); David Kemper, Johnny DeFoncesca, Bill Vitt, Buzzy Buchanan, Mickey Hart, Ron Tutt, Bill Kreutzmann (drums); Donna Jean Godchaux, Jackie LaBranch, Gloria Jones (background vocals); Grateful Dead.
Audio Mixer: Mike McGinn.
Liner Note Author: Blair Jackson.
Recording information: Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada (01/25/1973-07/08/1995); Frost Amphitheaters (Stanford University), Palo Alto, C (01/25/1973-07/08/1995); Keystone, Berkeley, CA (01/25/1973-07/08/1995); Oakland Coliseum, Oakland, CA (01/25/1973-07/08/1995); Oriental Theater, Milwaukee, WI (01/25/1973-07/08/1995); Santa Cruz Civic Auditorium, Santa Cruz, CA (01/25/1973-07/08/1995); Soldier Field, Chicago, IL (01/25/1973-07/08/1995); Sullivan Stadium, Foxboro, MA (01/25/1973-07/08/1995); The Boarding House, San Francisco, CA (01/25/1973-07/08/1995); The Stone, Sand Francisco, CA (01/25/1973-07/08/1995); Warfield Theatre, San Francisco, CA (01/25/1973-07/08/1995).
Photographers: Roberto Rabanne; Herbert Greene; Roger Ressmeyer; Mary Ann Mayer; Ken Friedman.
Given that Bob Dylan and the Grateful Dead were no strangers (see 1989's DYLAN & THE DEAD live album), it's not surprising that the late Jerry Garcia frequently covered the rock bard in concert, with both the Dead and other ensembles. This two-disc set collects 15 of Garcia's live takes on Dylan songs recorded at various shows between 1973 and 1995. Garcia's love of the extended jam is on full display here, with many of these renditions transforming Dylan's folk/rock classics into lengthy instrumental workouts, particularly on the positively swingin' 12-minute take on "Tangled Up in Blue" and the 17-minute-plus "Knockin' on Heaven's Door," which moves from a slow, melancholy opening to a soulful, uplifting finale.
Be The First To Write A Review
Rhino (Label) 8122732632
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.