CD Lullabies from the Axis of Evil (CD 921762),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Lullabies from the Axis of Evil
1. Sad Sol (You, My Destiny) - Sarah Jane Morris/Mahsa Vadat
2. Dilelol (Sleep, My Child) - Halla Bassam/Eva Dahlgren/Amel Kthyer/Halla Balsam
3. Lalolalo ( Don't You Worry My Child) - Lila Downs/Kulsoom Syed Ghulam
4. Ya Lel Ma Atwalak (This Never Ending Night) - Kari Bremnes/Rim Banna
5. Luna, Luna (Luna, Luna Little Doll) - Mayada Killisly Baghdadi/Mimi
6. Peace Song - Halla Bassam/Sevara Nazarkhan/Halla Balsam
7. Aruru (Lullaby, Sweet Baby) - Nina Hagen/Martha Lorenzo
8. Stars Are Rising - Eddi Reader/Sun Ju Lee
9. Nami (Angel) - Katia Cardenal/Viva Killisly Chachati/Katia Cardenal
10. Lalalala Gohle Laleh - Mahsa & Marjan Vahdat
11. Garibe (Watching Over Me) - Halla Bassam/Rickie Lee Jones/Halla Balsam
12. Nami Ya La'aubi (Sleep My Doll) - Annisette/Rim Banna/Annistte
13. Gohlelale (My Tulip, My Pearl) - Elana Fremerman/Pari Zanganeh/Washington National Cathedral Girl Choristers
14. Nami (Lament) - Jawaher Shofani
15. Mazar (Some Day, My Boy) - Elana Fremerman/Fanzya & Razya Khan Ali
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 15187
Erik Hillestad (Compilation)
Audun Erlien; Reider Skaar; Giert Clausen; Reidar Skr
This release features lullabies from countries identified as members of the "Axis Of Evil" by U.S. President George W. Bush.
Composer: Knut Reiersrud.
Personnel: Audun Erlien (guitar, keyboards); Knut Reiersrud (lap steel guitar, oud, keyboards); David Wallumrod (piano, Clavinet); Christian Wallumrod (keyboards); Marian Lisland (background vocals).
Audio Mixers: Reider Skaar; Giert Clausen; Reidar Skr.
Recording information: 7.Etage, Olso; Boom! Studios, London, England; CaVa Studios, Glasgow, Scotland; Congress House Studios, Austin, TX; Fersklyd, Olso; Los Angeles, CA; National Cathedral, Washington D.C.; New York, NY; Red Star Studios, Los Angels; StarTrack Studios, London, England; Status Studio, Managua, Nicaragua; Studio Nordraak, Olso; The National Radio Studio, Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
Photographers: Brian Bass; Paul Cohen ; Joseph Cultice; Lee Cantelon.
The idea is excellent -- giving a human face to those countries labeled by George W. Bush as "the axis of evil" in his 2002 speech. Norwegian producer Erik Hillestad traveled to all those countries, recording female singers and traditional lullabies, then back home paired them with Western female artists over backing tracks created by musician Knut Reiersrud. Although Reirsrud has opted for an international ambience of subdued loops and beats that tend to stifle the individuality of the tracks, the vocal work is lovely and often quite gorgeous, as when Eddi Reader and North Korea's Sun Ju Lee come together on "Stars Are Rising" or Elena Fremerman and the National Cathedral Girls Choristers team up with Iran's Pari Zanganeh for "Gohlelale." ~ Chris Nickson
Dirty Linen (p.57) - "[A] lovely reminder of our inherent humanity..."
Mojo (Publisher) (p.109) - 3 stars out of 5 - "The empathy is immediate, the duets excellent and the overall effect is beguilingly powerful."
Be The First To Write A Review
Valley Entertainment (USA) 15187
E1 Distribution (USA)
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.