CD Revisited & Remixed 1970-1999 (CD 7048436),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Revisited & Remixed 1970-1999
0. DISC 1: PLANET SIDE (REVISITED):
1. Aguirre I Lacrima di Rei [From Aguirre]
3. In den Grten Pharaos
4. Ich Mache Einen Spiegel
5. Nachts Schnee [From Cobra Verde]
6. Eine Andere Welt [From Cobra Verde]
7. In Your Eyes
8. Train Through Time
10. Brder des Schattens [From Nosferatu]
11. Through Pain to Heaven [From Nosferatu]
12. Kailash: Last Village - (previously unreleased)
0. DISC 2: COSMIC SIDE (REMIXED):
1. Aguirre I/II [Lacrima Di Rei Edit] [Peter Kruder Remix] - (remix)
2. Schnee [Flow Edit] [Thomas Fehlmann Flow Mix] - (remix)
3. Heart of Glass [Sei Still Wisse Ich Bin Edit] [A Critical Mass Remix] - (remix)
4. Haram Dei Haram Dei [ProgRock Edit] [Alex Barck Remix] - (remix)
5. Through Pain to Heaven/Kyrie [Edit] [Roland Appel Remix] - (remix)
6. Nachts Schnee [Ambient Edit] [Mika Vainio Remix] - (remix)
7. Grten Pharaos [Dark Development Edit] [Moritz Von Oswald Remix] - (remix)
8. Through Pain to Heaven/Dopeful Vuh [Edit] [Mouse On Mars Remix] - (remix)
9. Hosianna Mantra [Lyric Edit] [Stereolab Remix] - (remix)
10. Aguirre I/II [Endless Edit] [Haswell & Hecker Remix] - (remix)
11. Train Through Time [Long Version]
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): SPV70442
Roland Appel; Frank Fiedler; Gero Herrde; Gtz Michael Rieth; Jan Krause; Manuel Schonfeld; Andre Herrmann; Johannes Fricke; International Double Standards; Frank Uhle; Chris Rehberger
Audio Mixers: Frank Fiedler; Popol Vuh.
Audio Remasterers: Frank Fiedler; Jan Krause.
Audio Remixers: Roland Appel; Steffen "Dixon" Berkhahn; Henrik Schwartz; Jan Werner ; Florian Hecker; Gtz Michael Rieth; Kristian Rdle; Alex Barck; Johannes Fricke; Timothy Gane; Mika Vainio; Ame; Moritz von Oswald; Andi Thoma; Peter Kruder; Russell Haswell; Thomas Fehlmann; Frank Wiedemann.
Liner Note Author: Klaus Schulze.
Photographers: Tommi Grnlund; Bettina von Waldthausen; Olga Latowa.
Popol Vuh were one of the first Krautrock bands to turn their focus -- thanks to their late founder, lone constant member, and musical director, Florian Fricke -- to ambient music (a full half-decade before Eno called it that) and ethnic fusions of various sorts. They released almost two dozen albums, scored a handful of films by Werner Herzog -- including Nosferatu and Aguirre, Wrath of God -- and continually experimented with form, tone, context, and format. A decade after Fricke's death, the German SPV imprint celebrates his legacy with this double-disc set. The first features a smattering of Popol Vuh tunes from throughout their tenure. It makes for compelling listening despite an apparent paradox: Fricke and company conceived of recordings as albums (as well as scores), so hearing tracks placed outside that context would -- theoretically at least -- be an erratic listening exercise. It's not. In fact, it's sequenced beautifully. The second disc pays tribute to Popol Vuh via a set of remixes by a wide assortment of producers and DJs. These include Peter Kruder's slow, ambient dub re-creation of "Aguirre I/II [Lacrima Di Rei Edit]" and Moritz von Oswald's reworking of "Grten Pharaos [Dark Development Edit]" from the same soundtrack. Oswald's version features throbbing percussion in the lower registers with genuinely subtle vocal effects and a high-pitched synth jabbing in and out of the mix seemingly at random. Elsewhere, Stereolab remix "Hosianna Mantra," keeping the chorus and original instrumentation before injecting a guitar that eventually takes the proceedings over. Other participants include Mouse on Mars, A Critical Mass, Thomas Fehlmann, Haswell & Hecker, Miko Vainio, Alex Barck, and Roland Appel. Usually, remix projects like this one are very mixed bags in terms of quality. That said, perhaps due to the open-ended nature of Fricke's and Popol Vuh's source material, this set is very consistent. The collection also includes liner notes by Fricke contemporary and friend Klaus Schulze. ~ Thom Jurek
Record Collector (magazine) (p.100) - 4 stars out of 5 -- "[A] beautifully-wrought, fitting tribute to an overlooked genius."
Uncut (magazine) (p.97) - 4 stars out of 5 -- "Mika Vainio's 'Nachts Schnee' extends the brief original into 10 minutes of spiritual sublimity."
Be The First To Write A Review
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright