CD Southern Rock: Gold [2 CD] (CD 870398),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Southern Rock: Gold [2 CD]
0. DISC 1:
1. Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd
2. Ramblin' Man - The Allman Brothers Band
3. Heard It in a Love Song - The Marshall Tucker Band
4. If You Wanna Get to Heaven - Ozark Mountain Daredevils
5. South's Gonna Do It Again, The - The Charlie Daniels Band
6. Fooled Around and Fell in Love - Elvin Bishop
7. Chapagne Jam - Atlanta Rhythm Section
8. Hold on Loosely - .38 Special
9. Flirtin' with Disaster - Molly Hatchet
10. Highway Song - Blackfoot
11. Guitar Town - Steve Earle
12. Walk Soflty on This Heart of Mine - The Kentucky Headhunters
13. Nothin' Matters But the Fever - Sea Level
14. Refried Funky Chicken - The Dixie Dregs
15. Mind Bender - Stillwater
16. Green Grass & High Tides - Outlaws
0. DISC 2:
1. Keep Your Hands to Yourself - The Georgia Satellites
2. Only You Know and I Know - Delaney & Bonnie & Friends
3. Midnight Rider - Gregg Allman
4. Keep on Smilin' - Wet Willie
5. Dixie Chicken - Little Feat
6. There Goes Another Love Song - Outlaws
7. Street Corner Serenade - Wet Willie
8. Travelin' Shoes - Elvin Bishop
9. So into You - Atlanta Rhythm Section
10. Coming Home - Johnny Van Zant
11. Don't Misunderstand Me - Rossington Collins Band
12. Living in a Dream - The Arc Angels
13. Please Be with Me - Cowboy
14. Can't You See - The Marshall Tucker Band
15. Free Bird - Lynyrd Skynyrd
16. Whipping Post - The Allman Brothers Band
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 005515
David Anderle; Delaney Bramlett; Emory Gordy, Jr.; Gary Lyons; Gary Rossington; Glyn Johns; Gregg Allman; Henry Weck; Jeff Glixman; Adrian Barber; Johnny Sandlin; Al Kooper; Al Nalli; Lowell George; Allan Blazek; Allen Collins; Paul Rothchild; Paul Hornsby; Rodney Mills; Steven Van Zandt; Stewart Levine; Tom Dowd; Tom Werman; Barry Harwood; Bill Szymcyzk; Buddy Buie; Bill Levenson (Compilation)
Photographers: Stephen Paley; Beth Gwinn; David Alexander ; Kirk West; Mike McGowan; Michael Putland; Alan Messer; Chris Walter; Glenn A. Baker; John Atashian; Barry Morgenstein; Jan Persson; Gary Gershoff; Mark Hanauer.
Arranger: Al Kooper.
Much like jazz, Southern rock isn't just a musical genre, it's an institution, one that is interwoven into the fabric of 20th century American popular culture and is distinctly indigenous to American shores. As such, there have been countless anthologies and budget-line collections loosely assembling a smattering of the sound and its rich diversity, but nothing like this. Southern Rock: Gold isn't just an anthology, it's an anthropological and sociological document of some of the greatest rock music ever to come out of the American South, complete with a veritable who's who of the style. The set bookends with the one-two punch of the godfathers of Southern rock: Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Allman Brothers with their instantly recognizable classics "Sweet Home Alabama," "Freebird," "Ramblin' Man," and "Whipping Post," each a massive hit and signature tune that defined the movement. In between there are contributions from many of the super groups from the '70s and some of the torch bearers of the sound from the '80s, including the Kentucky Headhunters and the Georgia Satellites (who were responsible for Southern rock's last stand on the pop charts with the infectious "Keep Your Hands to Yourself," thanks in part to an amazing music video). Die-hard fans of the style may argue over the track selection, and some may even fight over the sequencing. But this isn't a set for the die-hard fan (even though it deserves a place in their collection, especially to just have all of the hits in one place); this is something that's immediately accessible to the casual listener and a guide point to dig deeper into the treasure trove of the Southern rock sound. It's one of the most enjoyable road maps ever assembled and paints a vivid portrait of such an important era in American pop music. ~ Rob Theakston
Be The First To Write A Review
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.