CD The Essential Byrds [Limited Edition 3.0] [Digipak] (CD 7053402),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
The Essential Byrds [Limited Edition 3.0] [Digipak]
0. DISC 1:
1. Mr. Tambourine Man [Album Version]
2. I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better [Album Version]
3. All I Really Want To Do [Album Version]
4. Chimes Of Freedom [Album Version]
5. Turn! Turn! Turn! (To Everything There Is A Season)
6. She Don't Care About Time [Single Verson]
7. It Won't Be Wrong [Album Version]
8. Set You Free This Time [Album Version]
9. He Was A Friend Of Mine [Album Version]
10. Eight Miles High [Album Version]
11. 5D (Fifth Dimension) [Album Version]
12. Mr. Spaceman [Album Version]
13. So You Want To Be A Rock 'N' Roll Star [Album Version] - (mono)
14. Have You Seen Her Face [Album Version] - (mono)
15. Renaissance Fair [Album Version] - (mono)
16. My Back Pages [Album Version] - (mono)
0. DISC 2:
1. Lady Friend [Single Version]
2. Old John Robertson [Single Version]
3. Goin' Back [Album Version]
4. Natural Harmony [Album Version]
5. Wasn't Born To Follow
6. You Ain't Goin' Nowhere [Album Version]
7. Hickory Wind [Album Version]
8. This Wheel's On Fire [Album Version]
9. Drug Store Truck Drivin' Man [Album Version]
10. Ballad Of Easy Rider [Album Version]
11. Jesus Is Just Alright [Album Version]
12. Lover Of The Bayou [Live] - (live)
13. Chestnut Mare [Album Version]
14. Glory, Glory [Album Version]
15. I Wanna Grow Up To Be A Politician [Album Version]
16. Tiffany Queen [Album Version]
17. Farther Along [Album Version]
0. DISC 3:
1. Spanish Harlem Incident
2. I Knew I'd Want You
3. World Turns All Around Her, The
4. I See You
5. Change Is Now
6. One Hundred Years From Now [Album Version]
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 872932
The Byrds include: Roger McGuinn, David Crosby, Gram Parsons, Clarence White (vocals, guitar); Chris Hillman (vocals, bass); Gene Clark (vocals); Michael Clarke, Gene Parsons (drums).
Producers include: Terry Melcher, Allen Stanton, Gary Usher, Bob Johnston, Jim Dickson.
Compilation producer: Bob Irwin.
Recorded between 1965 & 1971. Includes liner notes by Alan Bisbort.
Recording information: 01/17/1971; 01/20/1965; 01/25/1966; 03/01/1970; 03/08/1965; 03/09/1968; 04/14/1965; 04/22/1965; 04/26/1967; 04/29/1966; 05/19/1966; 05/25/1966; 05/27/1968; 06/05/1970; 06/14/1967; 06/17/1969; 06/18/1969; 06/21/1967; 07/25/1971; 08/23/1965; 08/24/1965; 08/30/1967; 09/10/1965; 09/16/1965; 09/18/1965; 10/08/1968; 10/09/1967; 11/01/1965; 11/28/1966; 11/29/1966; 11/29/1967; 11/30/1967; 12/04/1968; 12/05/1966; 12/06/1966.
Photographers: Guy Webster; Don Hunstein; David Gahr.
While the all-killer no-filler single-disc The Byrds' Greatest Hits remains the best distillation of their classic songs, The Essential Byrds is a smartly assembled double dose, including all 14 of the 1965-1967 tracks on Greatest Hits, but expanding its reach into their entire Columbia output, going as far as the early '70s. Inevitably, that means that disc two -- which goes, roughly, from mid-1967 to 1971 -- isn't as good as the first half, and that the last four tracks in particular are by far the least impressive, tagged on mostly so that the release spans the Byrds' entire Columbia catalog. That's a small reservation considering that the two-fer adds many first-rate songs not on Greatest Hits, from non-hit singles like "Lady Friend" and "Goin' Back" to standout album cuts like "Renaissance Fair," "Natural Harmony," "Jesus Is Just Alright," and "Chestnut Mare." There are no surprises here; even the songs that eluded inclusion on albums for many years, like the early B-side "She Don't Care About Time" and "Lady Friend," have been commonly available in the CD era. And it's true that this misses some other fine album tracks that could have stood with pride alongside those selected, like "I Knew I'd Want You," "John Riley," and "Dolphin's Smile." Within the confines of the two-CD format, though, it's a very well-chosen career overview. [The 2011 3.0 edition adds a third disc with six additional tracks: "Spanish Harlem Incident," "I Knew I'd Want You," "The World Turns All Around Her," "I See You," "Change Is Now," and "One Hundred Years from Now."] ~ Richie Unterberger
Uncut (p.126) - 5 stars out of 5 - "[T]he 44 tracks cover just about every important nook and cranny of The Byrds' illustrious career..."
Be The First To Write A Review
Columbia (USA) 87293
Sony Music Entertainment
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.