CD Voice from the Shadows: The Story of a Muscle Shoals Soul Sister (CD 1268299),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Voice from the Shadows: The Story of a Muscle Shoals Soul Sister
1. Let's Walk Down the Street Together
2. Woman in Me, The
3. Going Through the Changes
5. Just Me and You - (previously unreleased)
6. Spend a Little Time (Loving the World) - (previously unreleased)
7. Try (Just a Little Bit Harder) - (previously unreleased)
8. Get on Back on the Right Track - (previously unreleased)
9. Rainin' in My Heart - (previously unreleased)
10. Colour of Man, The - (previously unreleased)
11. I'll Never Let You Walk Alone - (previously unreleased)
12. Leaving Me - (previously unreleased)
13. Use Me - (previously unreleased)
14. You've Been Doing Wrong for So Long - (previously unreleased)
15. I Want to Be Loved - (previously unreleased)
16. I'm Not Made for Love - (previously unreleased)
17. Nobody's Gonna Turn Me Against You - (previously unreleased)
18. Sorry We Didn't Make It - (previously unreleased)
19. You've Never Really Lived (Until You've Loved Someone) - (previously unreleased)
20. Promises Are Not to Be Broken - (previously unreleased)
21. His Love Can Be No Stronger - (previously unreleased)
22. Stay There and Try to Be Strong - (previously unreleased)
23. We Are So in Love - (previously unreleased)
24. So Many Ways - (previously unreleased)
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 7008
Clayton Ivey; Finley Duncan; Jerry Weaver; Jimmy Johnson; Roger Hawkins; Terry Woodford
Personnel: Mary Gresham (background vocals); Marie Tomlinson, Terry Woodford, Barbara Wyrick (background vocals).
Recording information: 1968-1977.
Mary Gresham was an unsung but important figure in the flourishing Muscle Shoals soul scene of the late `60s. Her backing vocals and songwriting talents were featured on many of the most striking deep soul sides to emerge from studios like Fame and Muscle Shoals Sound. Of the 24 cuts compiled on VOICE FROM THE SHADOWS, only four, including the lovelorn "Let's Walk Down The Street Together," saw release at the time of their recording.
Approximately half of these songs date to the late `60s and feature the punchy, horn driven arrangements that were a Muscle Shoals trademark. The latter half of VOICE FROM THE SHADOWS dates from the mid-to-late '70s and boasts a smooth, modern soul sound reminiscent of Clarence Carter's keyboard-driven records from the same period.
Living Blues (p.65) - "Gresham's voice is impressive throughout -- grainy yet supple, shot through with both soul-baring emotion and upward-arching spiritual ecstasy."
Be The First To Write A Review
Soulscape Records SSCD 7008
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.