CD Piano Stories (CD 15791532),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
1. Isolation (theme from The Hide)
2. Tom's Midnight Garden: Theme (Portal to the Past)
3. Nightingale and the Rose: Theme, The (Thorn to the Heart)
4. Selfish Giant: Theme, The (High Walled Garden)
5. Wilde: Theme (Oscar)
6. Silver Stream
7. Fields of Hope (theme from Land Girls)
8. Joe and Diana (theme from The Upper Hand)
9. Ray of Sunshine, for piano (theme from Children's Hospital)
10. Succession (theme from The Throne)
11. Haunted: Theme (Mists of Edbrook)
12. Journey of a Lifetime (theme from Joanna Lumley's Nile)
13. Travels with Uncle Sam (theme from Stephen Fry in America)
14. Affairs Current (theme from The Andrew Marr Show)
15. Judge John Deed: Theme (Man of Law)
16. Warriors: Theme (Peacekeeper)
17. Occupation (theme from the The Promise)
18. Quiet Room, The
19. Tom and Viv: Theme (The Honeymoon's Over)
20. Echoes of Carmilla (theme from Lesbian Vampire Killers)
21. Fall of the Last Barrier (theme from Flood)
22. Haunted: Theme (Christina's Minuet)
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 2564671888
Responsible for the theme tunes of some of the U.K.'s most distinguished documentaries and dramas of the '90s and 2000s, celebrated British composer Debbie Wiseman revisits 24 of her favorite pieces on Piano Stories, a unique "best-of" collection which strips away the expansive orchestration of the originals in favor of a stripped-back solo piano production which breathes new life into a repertoire spanning over 20 years. Beginning with her early foray into kids TV on Children's Hospital ("Ray of Sunshine") and ending with a piece from 2011 critically acclaimed war drama The Promise ("Occupation"), there are subtle yet emotive renditions of numbers from big-screen period dramas Tom & Viv ("The Honeymoon Is Over") and Haunted ("Mists of Edbrook," "Christina's Minuet"), star-fronted travelogs Joanna Lumley's Nile ("Journey of a Lifetime") and Stephen Fry in America ("Travels with Uncle Sam"), and a whole host of BBC favorites including Judge John Deed ("Man of Law"), Warriors ("Peacekeeper"), and Land Girls ("Fields of Hope"). While several compositions unavoidably lose their dramatic quality, particularly the Ivor Novello-winning "Oscar" from the 1997 biopic Wilde, many benefit from their more intimate minimal setting. "Joe & Diana," from early-'90s sitcom The Upper Hand, doesn't sound anywhere near as dated now that its corny saxophone hook has been removed, while the slightly sedate treatment of The Andrew Marr Show's "Current Affairs" is far more suited to its Sunday morning time slot than its usual bombastic jazz soundtrack. With so many iconic theme tunes under her belt, Wiseman could easily just have bunged out a compilation of the originals. But in lovingly reworking her own material, she's produced an effortlessly soothing and beautifully understated alternative retrospective which cements her reputation as one of Britain's most accomplished film and TV soundtrack composers. ~ Jon O'Brien
Be The First To Write A Review
Warner Classics (USA) 2564671888
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.