CD Sherlock Holmes: The Series (CD 885234),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Sherlock Holmes: The Series
Original Soundtrack/Patrick Gowers
1. 221B Baker Street - (with Patrick Gowers)
2. Elsie Cubitt - (with Patrick Gowers)
3. Libera Me - (with Patrick Gowers)
4. North by Ten and by Ten - (with Patrick Gowers)
5. Old Sherman's Dog Toby - (with Patrick Gowers)
6. Sutton's Nightmare - (with Patrick Gowers)
7. River Chase - (with Patrick Gowers)
8. Death of Sherlock Holmes, The - (with Patrick Gowers)
9. Irene Adler - (with Patrick Gowers)
10. Holmes in Europe - (with Patrick Gowers)
11. John Hector McFarlane and His Mother - (with Patrick Gowers)
12. Setting Out - (with Patrick Gowers)
13. Lucretia Venucci and Her Family - (with Patrick Gowers)
14. Mr Henry Baker's Christmas - (with Patrick Gowers)
15. Illustrious Lord Bellinger, The - (with Patrick Gowers)
16. On the Trail - (with Patrick Gowers)
17. Neville St. Clair's Nostalgia - (with Patrick Gowers)
18. Bar of Gold, Upper Swandam Lane, The - (with Patrick Gowers)
19. Baker Street Reunion - (with Patrick Gowers)
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 1334
Original score composed by Patrick Gowers.
Recorded at Abbey Road Studios, London, England on July 23 & 25, 1987.
Personnel: Kenneth Sillito (violin); Leslie Pearson (piano).
Recording information: EMI Abbey Road Studios, London, England (07/23/1987/07/25/1987).
Patrick Gowers' score for the Grenada Television series about A. Conan Doyle's consulting detective has become almost as closely linked to Sherlock Holmes in the minds of fans as star Jeremy Brett (1933-1995). But those with no interest in Holmes can also enjoy this recording. Gowers' musical eloquence is richly displayed in these widely diverse, yet cohesive, tracks.
Gowers begins the recording with "221B Baker Street," the vivacious theme (performed on Holmes' instrument, the violin, by Kenneth Sillito) that brings to mind Holmes' classic alarm call, "Come, Watson, come! The game is afoot. Not a word!" The cohesiveness of the album comes from Gowers' variations on this theme found throughout the rest of the recording. But the diversity within this cohesiveness is what is remarkable. Gowers' compositions range from the energetic and mysterious to the introspective and poignant, from the noble quality of an Elgar-like march ("The Illustrious Lord Bellinger") to the surrealistic, synthesized sounds of "The Bar of Gold, Upper Swandam Lane." And on the way, it touches upon hints of a Negro spiritual, Christmas carols, and the liquescent sounds of English cathedral music ("Libera Me"). All the while, the composer never lets listeners forget the gas-lit London streets, the dark and murky Thames, and the fog-shrouded moors that were the heart of Holmes' detective dominion. Gowers not only composed these pieces, but also conducted the St. Paul's Cathedral Choir, the Gabrieli String Quartet, and the Wren Orchestra of London. The performances are excellent, as is the quality of the recording. It should be noted that this recording contains "The Death of Sherlock Holmes." This track has special significance for Holmes' aficionados, as Gowers' daughter, Katherine, played the composition on the violin at Jeremy Brett's funeral (during which performance, it was reported, many a tear was shed). This fact not only illustrates how Brett came to epitomize Holmes, but also how immensely successful Patrick Gowers was in composing a score that conveys the ethos of one of the most famous characters in all fiction. ~ Peter Ditzel
Be The First To Write A Review
Jay Records 1334
Allegro Corporation (Dist
Out of Stock
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright