CD Rhythm Science (CD 1224910),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Various Artists/DJ Spooky
1. Afterimage/The First Reading
2. Poesi/Alination et Magie Noire
3. Oscillations - (Milky Remix)
4. Encode/Let's From Some Loud Unworld's Most Rightful Wrong
5. Zeta Reticulli/If I Told Him, A Completed Portrait of Picasso
6. Accidents and Emergencies
7. Oscillations /Biological Closure/Ursonate - (Vedic's Live Pop Remix/Biological C mix, live)
8. Kali Rising/Pour Compte (Phases, 1949)
9. April /Anna Livia Plurabelle (Finnegan's Wake) - (Remix)
10. April /Sdii Audio Template/Satricon/Some Texts From A ... - (Remix)
12. Chrysanthemum Haradjani/Girl
13. Darba del Hameni/Ground
14. Is It Now?
15. Bitchley's Kow Korn/In Principio/Easter Nocturnal Liturgy
16. Fuse/The Five Steps
17. Atavistic Endeavor/Control Phantom/Lux Automobile - (Krokodil Rock Mix)
18. Afterimage/Une Aventure Extraordinaire Arrive A Vladimir ...
19. D'Un Cahier d'Esquisses
20. Mmoires d'Un Surfeur au Bord du Dsert
21. Bad Day for Wasps
22. Dada Cat
24. Suite, No. 11/Nothing
26. One Night @ the 1001/Map of Dusk
27. With the Flow Against the Current/Jellaba Titara/Pont Mirabeau
28. Again and Again
29. Machine Chop/Triadic Memories/Tricyrtis Latifalia
31. Konstantin Raudive - (Remix)
32. Morning High
33. Last Reading, The
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 201
Personnel: Brion Gysin (violin).
Audio Mixer: DJ Spooky.
Liner Note Author: DJ Spooky.
Recording information: Mindswerve Studios, New York, NY.
The Belgian label Sub Rosa invited DJ Spooky "That Subliminal Kid" to remix its whole catalog. Yes, it has been done before, but there are two main factors of interest in this particular project. First of all, DJ Spooky is an unusual DJ, to say the least: he's highly imaginative and willing to push boundaries without going to the extent of disfiguring his source materials. Second of all, Sub Rosa's catalog encompasses a smorgasbord of audio art. And DJ Spooky has tapped into the richness of Sub Rosa's "audio archive" (dixit the album's subtitle) to produce a hard-hitting, 79-minute mix. The mix rarely stays in place, constantly moving from one spot to another. Spooky generally builds the music over three layers. First is a groove derived from ethnic percussion (Trilok Gurtu and Bill Laswell, among others) or beat-driven electro or DJ'ing (DJ Wally, DJ Grazzhoppa, Yoshihiro Hanno, David Shea, etc.). The second layer is provided by experimental electro or sound artists (Scanner, Oval, Merzbow, Carl Michael von Hausswolff, etc.). The third layer sees the highly-schooled DJ Spooky dive into Sub Rosa's generous series of aural documents of modern geniuses. And so the voices of James Joyce, William S. Burroughs, ee cummings, Brion Gysin, Antonin Artaud, Tristan Tzara, and other Gilles Deleuze's pop up everywhere, creating a meta-discourse, offering anachronical comments on the music while they themselves become part of the music. "Welcome to Rhythm Science. It's an exercise in pan-humanism," states Spooky in his lengthy liner notes. This pan-humanism plays on the blurred boundaries between high art and low art: the philosophical and literary aspects of the spoken words, the sonic research of experimentalists, and the groove, constantly and seductively present throughout the album. ~ Franois Couture
Be The First To Write A Review
Dance & Electronic
Sub Rosa (Label) SR 201
Forced Exposure Dist.
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.