CD Classical Chinese Folk Music [Arc]  (CD 1025883),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Classical Chinese Folk Music [Arc] 
0. DISC 1:
1. Zi Zhu Diao (Purple Bamboo Melody) - Chen Dacan
2. Yu Ge (Yu Tian You) (Song of the Fisherman) - Li He
3. Jiang He Shui (Rivers and Streams) - Chen Dacan
4. Wu Bang Zi (Fen Zi Cuen) - Li He
5. Sai Ma (Horse Races) - Chen Dacan
6. Springtime on the Tianshan Mountains - Cheng Yu
7. Gu Xiang (My Home Town) - Chen Dacan
8. Huan le Ge (Happy Song) - Li He
9. Liang Xiao (Beautiful Evening) - Chen Dacan
10. Chun Dou Xiang Jiang (Ning Bao Sheng) (Spring Comes to Xiang River) - Li He
11. Er Quan Ying Yue (Spring Water Reflects the Moon) - Chen Dacan
12. Flowing Water from the High Mountain - Cheng Yu
13. Feng Shou (Bumper Harvest) - Chen Dacan
0. DISC 2:
1. Mu Min Xin Ge - Li He
2. Ping Hu Qiu Yue (Still Lake Under the Autumn Moon) - Chen Dacan
3. Guo Sou Xing (Tiang Xian Wei) (A Trip to Guo Sou) - Li He
4. San Liu (Three and Six) - Chen Dacan
5. In the Evening of the Torch Festival - Cheng Yu
6. E Ma Yao Ling (Hungry Horses Ringing Bells) - Chen Dacan
7. XI Xiang Fen (Fen Zi Cuen) (Happy Reunion) - Li He
8. Han Gong Qiu Yue (Autumn Moon at the "Han" Palace) - Chen Dacan
9. Three Ancient Tunes from Yenzhou - Cheng Yu
10. Zo XI Kou (Li Zhen) - Li He
11. XI Yang Yang - Chen Dacan
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 1564
Performers include: Cheng Yu, Li He, Professor Chen Dacan.
Contains 24 tracks.
Personnel: Cheng Yu (pipa); Li He (bamboo flute, bawu).
Recording information: Arc Music Studios, East Grinstead, England; David Ash Studios, London, England; Red For Studios, Southall, England; Red Fort Studios, Southall, England.
It is a touch misleading to list this album under "Various Artists," because a single ensemble with three soloists performs on it. The soloists are Cheng Wu on lutes, Li He on flutes, and Chen Dacan on the erhu, the Chinese two-string fiddle. The soloists are not mentioned on the front cover, although you can figure out the score from the rear. The rest of the ensemble consists of a Chinese bass, hammer dulcimer, and bamboo flute. There are no vocals. The title is also misleading, or at least enigmatic. What is "classical folk music"? The album sounds like light classical music, possibly based on folk sources, but played by a classical ensemble. Whatever it is, it is immensely accessible. The instruments, all unusual to Western ears, blend together to make a harmonious sound, but without surrendering their individuality. The music is carried along by a lilt and a verve that makes it spiritually akin to Celtic music. It offers up a lot of wonderful melodies supported by virtuoso playing on the part of the soloists, especially Dacan on the erhu fiddle. ARC are the people who brought you Hossam Ramzy, who produced this album for them. He's done a good job: The sound is great and the sequence of tracks keeps it interesting. It's a two-CD set and a real find for someone looking for this kind of music or for the curious beginner. ~ Kurt Keefner
Be The First To Write A Review
Arc Music 1564
E1 Distribution (USA)
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.