CD Early Girls, Vol. 4 (CD 113131),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Early Girls, Vol. 4
1. Dum Dum - Brenda Lee
2. (You Don't Know) How Glad I Am - Nancy Wilson
3. I Cried a Tear - LaVern Baker
4. Tall Paul - Annette Funicello/Afterbeats/Annette
5. Sincerely - The McGuire Sisters
6. Secret Love - Doris Day
7. Sad Movies (Make Me Cry) - Sue Thompson
8. Oh Why - Teddy Bears
9. Tammy - Debbie Reynolds
10. Tweedle Dee - Georgia Gibbs
11. It Hurts to Be in Love - Annie Laurie
12. Love of My Man, The - Theola Kilgore
13. Don't Say Nothin' Bad (About My Baby) - The Cookies
14. Man in the Raincoat, The - Don Wright & The Septette/Priscilla Wright/Don Wright/The Septette
15. Little White Lies - Betty Johnson
16. Daddy-O - Bonnie Lou
17. Walkin' Miracle, A - Anita Humes/The Essex
18. My Little Marine - Jamie Horton
19. He'll Have to Stay - Jeanne Black
20. Ronnie - Marcy Joe
21. Gonna Get Along Without Ya Now - Patience and Prudence
22. Paper Roses - Anita Bryant
23. To a Soldier Boy - The Tassels
24. Teenage Cleopatra - Tracey Dey
25. Little Tin Soldier - Toy Dolls
26. This Ole House - Rosemary Clooney
27. Keep Your Hands Off My Baby - Little Eva
28. I Can't Take It - Mary Ann Fisher
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 1045
Trevor Churchill (Compilation); Rob Finnis (Compilation); John Broven (Compilation)
Liner Note Authors: Malcolm Baumgart; Mick Patrick.
What can you say about a compilation that follows Rosemary Clooney with Little Eva, and LaVern Baker with Annette Funicello? You can say it is the fourth installment of Ace's entertaining Early Girls series. This volume focuses on chart hits between 1954 and 1964, and isn't afraid to include anyone though most of the artists are straight pop like Patience and Prudence, Doris Day, Debbie Reynolds, and the McGuire Sisters. There are also girl groups (the Cookies, the Essex), unknown R&B singers (Theola Kilgore, Annie Laurie), sweet teenagers (Marcy Jo, Jamie Horton), country crooners (Sue Thompson) and untamed forces of nature (Brenda Lee). The volume strikes a nice balance between well-known artists and obscurities, the highlights of the disc come from both camps. From the former are Brenda Lee's knock-out novelty "Dum Dum," the Cookies candy kissed "Don't Say Nothin' Bad (About My Baby)," Nancy Wilson's " (You Don't Know) How Glad I Am," Patience and Prudence's perky "Gonna Get Along Without You Now"; from the latter are Tracey Dey's silly but fun "Teenage Cleopatra," Theola Kilgore's "The Love of My Man," the Toy Dolls' "Little Tin Soldier" and best of all from a woman who managed to be the paramour of both Ray Charles and Little Jimmy Scott, Mary Ann Fisher's absolutely fierce R&B howler "I Can't Take It." Overall the disc may lean a bit heavily on the orchestras and schmaltz but if you can stand it, Early Girls, Vol. 4 is a fun and sweet trip through an oft-ignored area of American pop. ~ Tim Sendra
Be The First To Write A Review
Ace (Label) 1045
E1 Distribution (USA)
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.