CD Golden Age of American Rock 'n' Roll, Vol. 1 (CD 116902),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Golden Age of American Rock 'n' Roll, Vol. 1
1. Denise - Randy & the Rainbows
2. Sally Go Round the Roses - The Jaynetts
3. Mule Skinner Blues - The Fendermen
4. Sixteen Candles - The Crests
5. Pretty Little Angel Eyes - Curtis Lee
6. I Love How You Love Me - The Paris Sisters
7. Big Hurt, The - Toni Fisher
8. Thousand Stars, A - Kathy Young/The Innocents
9. Rockin' Robin - Bobby Day
10. Earth Angel - The Penguins
11. Bongo Rock - Preston Epps
12. Tossin' and Turnin' - Bobby Lewis
13. My True Story - The Jive Five
14. Stranded in the Jungle - The Cadets
15. Angel Baby - Rosie & the Originals
16. Party Lights - Claudine Clark
17. When We Get Married - The Dreamlovers
18. Cindy's Birthday - Johnny Crawford
19. Let's Dance - Chris Montez
20. Who's That Knocking - The Genies
21. Love You So - Ron Holden
22. Cherry Pie - Skip & Flip
23. Since I Don't Have You - The Skyliners
24. Louie, Louie - The Kingsmen
25. Since I Fell for You - Lenny Welch
26. Image of a Girl - The Safaris
27. Smoky Places - The Corsairs
28. Gee Whiz - The Innocents
29. Little Bit of Soap, A - The Jarmels
30. Eddie, My Love - The Teen Queens
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 289
Rob Finnis (Compilation); Trevor Churchill (Compilation)
Liner Note Author: Rob Finnis.
Photographer: Phil Smee.
For many years, Original Sound's Oldies but Goodies series was acknowledged as the best source for catching up on the many great early rock & roll hits by artists who had only one (or two, or three, or even a few more) classics to offer. Ace's Golden Age of American Rock'n'Roll series, however, has surpassed Oldies but Goodies as the series of choice in the CD age. Even at an import price, they offer better value (with 30 songs each!); they use the best possible available source tapes for remastering; they also offer lengthy, intelligent liner notes and some photos, where Original Sound have historically offered none. Most important, they offer a wealth of great hits from rock & roll's first decade as a widespread phenomenon (1954-1963), some of which are very difficult to find on other recordings, CD or not. There are some huge hits represented, but an equal amount of attention is paid to lower-charting songs that have fallen out of rotation on oldies stations, as well as some slight and/or regional hits that you might not have heard even if you grew up during the era. Volume One, like each installment, reflects the incredible diversity and excitement of rock's first decade: doo wop, primitive rockabilly, girl groups, instrumental rock, proto- soul, pop/rock, and more, ranging from famous one-shots (the Jaynetts' "Sally Go Round the Roses," the Penguins' "Earth Angel") to semi-forgotten treasures like the Fendermen's "Mule Skinner Blues" and Miss Toni Fisher's "The Big Hurt." ~ Richie Unterberger
Be The First To Write A Review
Ace (Label) 289
E1 Distribution (USA)
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.