CD Kiss 'n' Tell (CD 116906),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Kiss 'n' Tell
1. Celebrate Your Victory - The Shirelles
2. Remember Me - The Shirelles
3. You're Under Arrest - The Shirelles
4. Devil in His Heart - The Donays
5. Bad Boy - The Donays
6. Party Lights - Claudine Clark
7. Silly Little Girl - Dean & Jean
8. Casanova - Earlene & Her Girlfriends
9. Because of You - Earlene & Her Girlfriends
10. Little Girl Lost - Maxine Brown
11. Peaches 'N' Cream - The Ikettes
12. Fine, Fine, Fine (He's Gonna Be) - The Ikettes
13. Are You Trying to Get Rid of Me - Candy & the Kisses
14. You Did the Best You Could - Candy & the Kisses (previously unreleased)
15. You Got It Baby - The Toys
16. Try to Get You Out of My Heart - The Toys
17. I Just Couldn't Say - Lorraine & the Delights
18. Stop, Look, Listen - Les Girls
19. Kiss & Tell - Julie & The Desires
20. Better Be Ready - Annette
21. Leave Us Alone - The Del-Rons
22. Don't Hurt Me - Bernadette Carroll
23. Nicky - Bernadette Carroll
24. Only Seventeen - The Martin Sisters
25. Stay at Home Sue - Linda Laurie
26. Hey There, Hey There - The Gypsies
27. You Don't Love Me Anymore - Nella Dodds
28. I Wonder Why - The Chiffons
29. Foolish Little Girl - The Chiffons
30. Three Dips of Ice-Cream - The Chiffons
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 330
Performers include: The Shirelles, Dean & Jean, The Ikettes, Annette, The Chiffons.
Liner Note Author: Mick Patrick.
Arranger: Herb Bernstein.
Compilation of 30 rare girl group tunes, almost all from the early and mid-'60s, though a couple from the late '60s sneak in. Truth to tell, this is an inoffensive but hardly inspiring compilation of a genre that produced innumerable great records, both famous and obscure. The two famous cuts -- Claudine Clark's "Party Lights" and the Donays' "Devil in His Heart" (covered by the Beatles on their second album) -- are readily available elsewhere, in better company. Otherwise, there are rare, flop singles, as well as some unissued tracks, by the likes of Earline & Her Girlfriends, Lorraine & the Delights, and the Martin Sisters that simply don't stack up to the cream of the crop. The rare tracks by The Shirelles are pretty good (though already issued on other Ace compilations), Maxine Brown's "Little Girl Lost" is one of the most girl group-oriented singles by a singer who really belongs more in the soul category, and the tracks by Nella Dodds and Dean & Jean are good examples of girl groups' sultriest side. Candy & the Kisses' are good, too, although they're more in a Motown vein than a classic girl group style. The Chiffons are represented by a couple fairly weak covers and a 1969 tune that barely resembles their girl group origins at all. Annette Funicello weighs in with one of her more standard pop/rock efforts, the unexceptional 1965 single "Better Be Ready." In sum, a pretty erratic compilation with good and unremarkable moments, the balance tilting toward the unremarkable. If you're looking for compilations of interesting, non-hit girl group songs, there are much better (if harder to find) ones about, including Lookin' for Boys and Beyond the Wall of Sound (both on Roxy) and Ultimate Girl Groups (on Goldmine). ~ Richie Unterberger
Melody Maker (5/4/96, p.56) - "There is nothing cooler than girl group glamour..."
Be The First To Write A Review
Ace (Label) 330
E1 Distribution (USA)
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright