CD Street Corner Symphonies: The Complete Story of Doo Wop, Vol. 4 (1952) [Digipak] (CD 16018703),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Street Corner Symphonies: The Complete Story of Doo Wop, Vol. 4 (1952) [Digipak]
1. Have Mercy Baby - The Dominoes
2. Wheel of Fortune, The - The Cardinals
3. Be True - The Vocaleers
4. Baby Don't Do It - The "5" Royales - (featuring Charlie Ferguson & His Orchestra)
5. That's When Your Heartaches Begin - Billy Bunn & His Buddies
6. One Mint Julep - The Clovers
7. But I Forgive You - The Serenaders
8. Every Beat of My Heart - The Royals
9. Rock Me All Night Long - The Ravens
10. Hold Me - The Larks - (featuring Eugene Mumford)
11. That's the Way It's Gonna Be - The Four Knights
12. Beside You - The Swallows
13. You're Part of Me - Four Buddies
14. Don't Cry Baby - The Orioles - (featuring Buddy Lucas Orchestra)
15. Let's Give Love Another Chance - The Four Tunes
16. Last of the Good Rocking Men, The - The Four Jacks
17. Make Me Thrill Again - The Marylanders - (featuring Buddy Lucas & His Band Of Tomorrow)
18. Rug Cutter - The Four Blazes
19. Don't Be Angry - The Sultans
20. Beggar for Your Kisses, A - The Diamonds
21. Can't Do Sixty No More - The Du Droppers - (featuring Ben Smith's Quintet)
22. I've Lost - The Enchanters
23. Flame In My Heart - The Checkers
24. Serve Another Round - The Five Keys
25. One More Time - The Mel-O-Dots - (featuring Ricky Wells)
26. You're My Inspiration - The Five Crowns
27. Rockin' Daddy-O - The Heartbreakers
28. Later - The Four Flames
29. That's What You're Doing to Me - The Dominoes
30. Stormy Weather - The Five Sharps
31. Ting-a-Ling - The Clovers
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): BCD 17282
Bill Dahl (Reissue)
Liner Note Author: Bill Dahl.
Illustrators: Stefan Wriedt; Charlie Horner; R.A. Andreas; Pamela Horner; Victor Pearlin; Billy Vera.
Photographers: Stefan Wriedt; Charlie Horner; R.A. Andreas; Pamela Horner; Victor Pearlin; Billy Vera.
As Bill Dahl points out in his terrific liner notes for the fourth volume of Bear Family's ongoing doo wop history Street Corner Symphonies, 1952 finds the rise of independent labels specializing in vocal harmony and R&B. They filled the gap left by the slowly retreating major labels and, as they did, they capitalized on the growing shift toward gospel and blues-inflected harmony groups. Again the Dominoes, fronted by Clyde McPhatter, lead the charge but right alongside them were the "5" Royales, whose robust harmonies were rowdier and churchier than those of the Dominoes, and showcased to great effect on "Baby Don't Do It." While there are, as always, quite a lot of sweet, slow harmonies, overall the rhythms are changing and getting livelier, a shift heard quite clearly in the Clovers, the Diamonds, and the Heartbreakers. Things are starting to rock, doo wop is coming into view, and the results are pretty exciting. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine
Be The First To Write A Review
Bear Family Records (Germany) BCD 17282
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.