CD Carnival of Soul, Vol. 3: I Wanna Be (CD 117039),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Carnival of Soul, Vol. 3: I Wanna Be
1. I Need You Baby - Lee "Shot" Williams
2. I'll Erase You (From My Heart) - Phil Terrell
3. I Wanna Be (Your Everything) - The Manhattans
4. I Call It Love - The Pretenders
5. If Love Comes Knockin' - The Topics
6. Send Him to Me - Barbara Brown
7. I'm the Man for You Baby - Turner Brothers
8. Just One More Time - Jimmy Jules (previously unreleased)
9. I'll Be Gone - Lee "Shot" Williams
10. What Kind of Man Are You - Dolores Johnson
11. Oh Why - Curley Mays
12. You Made Me Love You - Little Royal
13. Git Go, The - Maurice Simon/The Pie Men
14. Just Be Yourself - The Pretenders
15. April Lady - James Perry
16. Take Me Back - The Three Reasons
17. Lonely Girl - The Lovettes
18. Cry, Cry, Cry - Kenneth Ruffin
19. Buy This Record for Me - Leon & the Metronomes
20. Your Yah-Yah Is Gone - Tren-Teens
21. Try Me One Time - Dolores Johnson
22. It's Too Late for Tears - Rene Bailey
23. I Don't Wanna Go - The Manhattans
24. Groove in "G" - Blue Zodiact/Wilbur Bascomb, Jr.
25. Love Don't Come Easy - New Jersey Connection
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 124
Alto Lee; Leon Stewart; Eddie Saunders; Wilbur Bascomb, Jr.
Performers include: The Manhattans, Lee Williams, Dolores Johnson, Jimmy Jules, The Pretenders, Curly Mays, Maurice Simon, Wilbur Bascomb, The Topics.
Personnel: Kenny Bristol (vocals).
Liner Note Author: Ady Croasdell.
Photographers: Joe Evans & Arthur McClain; Roger Armstrong.
Arranger: Kevin Marshall .
Many labels and label owners have been given unofficial sainthood by fans (all petitions to the Vatican are pending), but in the world of independent soul perhaps one of the most deserved of this massive praise is Joe Evans and his Carnival imprint. Spanning most of the '60s and taking occasional forays into the '70s and even the indie soul tundra of the '80s, Carnival quietly issued soul-blues rockers, somber ballads, northern classics, disco anthems, and crossover classics before most of those designations had been invented. Among the legends here are Lee Williams & the Cymbals' classic "I Need You Baby" (imagine Marvin Gaye singing lead with the Impressions), Phil Terrell and his fantastic "I'll Erase You (From My Heart)," Wilber Bascombe's bona fide funk anthem "Groove in G," and the sophisticated '80s surprise of New Jersey Connection's "Love Don't Come Easy." This is the third and final volume in Kent Records' reissue series that presents the entire catalog of Carnival, including previously unissued material. If you really want the whole story, though, you'll have to check out all three volumes; exhaustive notes and photos are provided in sequence throughout the thick booklets accompanying each disc. ~ Wade Kergan
Be The First To Write A Review
E1 Distribution (USA)
Out of Stock
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright