CD Jumpin': Original Full Length Classics from the Disco Underground  (CD 7007656),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Jumpin': Original Full Length Classics from the Disco Underground 
0. DISC 1:
1. Runaway [Original Album Version] - Loleatta Holloway/The Salsoul Orchestra
2. Mr Blindman [Original Album Version] - Donna McGhee
3. Just As Long As I Got You [Original 12" Mix] - The Love Committee/Love Committee
4. Was That All It Was [Original 12" Mix] - Jean Carn
5. First Time Around [Original 12" Mix] - Skyy
6. Jealousy [Original 12" Mix] - The Nobles
7. Janice (Don't Be So Blind To Love) [Original 12" Mix] - Skip Mahoney
8. I Know You Will [Original 12" Mix] - Logg
9. Till You Surrender [Original 12" Mix] - Rainbow Brown
10. Take Some Time Out For Love [Original 12" Mix] - The Salsoul Orchestra
11. Over Like A Fat Rat [Original 12" Mix] - Fonda Rae
12. Moment Of My Life [Original Album Version] - Inner Life
0. DISC 2:
1. Another Man [Original 12" Mix] - Barbara Mason
2. Heartbreaker [Original 12" Mix] - Leroy Burgess
3. Love Sensation [Original 12" Remix] - Loleatta Holloway
4. Do It Anyway You Wanna [Original 12" Mix] - Cashmere
5. Don't Give Me Up [Original 12" Mix] - Harold Melvin/The Blue Notes
6. Keeping Secrets [Original 12" Mix] - Switch
7. Don't Waste Your Time [Original 12" Mix] - Peoples/Yarbrough & Peoples/Yarbrough
8. I'll Be Around [Original 12" Mix] - Terri Wells
9. Let Her Feel It [Original 12" Mix] - Simplicious
10. Today's Your Lucky Day [Original 12" Mix] - Harold Melvin/Nikko/The Blue Notes
11. Dangerous [Original 12" Edit] - Pennye Ford
12. Big Fun [Original 12" Mix] - The Gap Band
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): HURTCD 102
Liner Note Author: Wayne A. Dickson.
Though the packaging does not indicate it, this is the "15th Anniversary Crystal Edition" of the Harmless label's Jumpin' compilations. The first volume was released in 1997, and the second came the following year. Both discs arrived with striking presentation. Unlike just about every other disco compilation released during the `90s, they treated the style with knowledge and love instead of kitsch and irony. No models sporting fake Afros, no Village People. With a couple exceptions -- the Salsoul Orchestra's "Runaway" and Inner Life's "Moment of My Life" (the latter of which appeared in a different version) -- this third Jumpin' features no overlap with the 1997 and 1998 volumes, and 12" mixes are favored whenever possible. It's quite heavy on `80s selections, several of which were produced by `80s club R&B giant Nick Martinelli for Philly World. These include Cashmere's "Do It Any Way You Wanna" (highly melodic synth funk), Terri Wells' "I'll Be Around" (a surprisingly effective cover of the Spinners original), and the two best songs off Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes' 1984 album (both of which offer an excellent balance between full-bodied productions and soul-rooted vocal showcases). Another figure who gets a lot of attention here is boogie master Leroy Burgess, who is behind -- and sometimes in front of -- Logg's "I Know You Will," Fonda Rae's "Over Like a Fat Rat," Inner Life's "Moment of My Life," and, of course, his own "Heartbreaker." A fair number of these tracks were licensed for well-made compilations released throughout the 2000s, but there are some relative rarities, such as the Nobles' "Jealousy" and an assortment of tracks from the Total Experience catalog, including Switch's "Keeping Secrets," Pennye Ford's "Dangerous," Yarbrough & Peoples' "Don't Waste Your Time," and the Gap Band's "Big Fun." ~ Andy Kellman
Be The First To Write A Review
Harmless (UK) HURTCD 102
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.