CD Masterpieces of Modern Soul (CD 114087),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Masterpieces of Modern Soul
1. To Get Love You've Got to Bring Love - Debra Johnson
2. Don't Send Nobody Else - Millie Jackson
3. Ain't No Telling - Houston Outlaws
4. Two Wrongs Don't Make a Right - Mayberry Movement
5. Fair Warning - Ted Taylor
6. Chase Those Clouds Away - Sam Nesbit
7. I'm the One Who Loves You - Millionaires
8. I'm a Believer - Idris Muhammad
9. Come Out of the Sandbox - Mary Love Comer
10. What Can I Do, I'm So in Love With You - Jean Shy
11. Frown on My Face, A - Jacqueline Jones
12. One More Chance - Four Tees
13. To Be a Part of You - Vernon Garrett
14. Love Me Baby - Tender Loving Care
15. You've Got to Try Harder (Times Are Bad) - Ronnie Walker
16. Second Hand Love - Lynn Varnado
17. I Call It Love - The Pretenders
18. I'm Me Just Me - Gil Billingsley
19. Here I Am Again - Denise LaSalle
20. Come Through Me - Garland Green
21. I'm a Lonely Man - Al Christian
22. Bringin' Me Back Home - Lou Pride
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 222
Vince Montana; Dave Hamilton; Billy McCloud; Charles Veal; T. Toney; Harvey Fuqua; Anthony Renfro; W.W. Watson; Bill Haney; Lou Stallman; Miles Grayson; Ronnie Walker; Rudy Ray Moore; Brad Shapiro; Ernest Cooper
Performers include: Millie Jackson, Ted Taylor, Denise LaSalle, Mary Love Comer.
Liner Note Author: Ady Croasdell.
Photographer: Millie Jackson.
Arrangers: Vince Montana; Harvey Fuqua; Lou Stallman; Mike Lewis ; Miles Grayson; Arthur Wright; Vernon Bullock; David Van De Pitte; Brad Shapiro.
Outsiders of the U.K. soul collecting scene might expect a CD with a title as generic as Masterpieces of Modern Soul to have songs by the likes of the Temptations or Al Green, or maybe Anita Baker and the like if it's much more "modern." But no, we're talking the cliquish British soul fiend culture here, where modern soul, according to the liner notes, is evidently a quite distinct animal from Northern soul. Modern soul, y'see, focuses on the smoother sounds of '70s soul, as opposed to Northern soul, which favors the more dance-oriented soul tunes of the '60s. It's all a bit befuddlingly hair-splitting for more general (or all American) listeners, who like soul music depending on how they like it, not what decade it's from. If you like '70s soul enough to pick up collections of obscurities from the genre, though, you could do worse than this two-dozen-strong anthology of tracks. Some of these singers were marginally popular, like Millie Jackson, Ted Taylor, Vernon Garrett, Denise LaSalle, Ronnie Walker, and Garland Green, but the majority of them aren't going to be known to any listeners except the most dedicated specialists. The tone is more pleasantly grooving than compulsively memorable, to be honest. But most of these are decent enough slices of '70s soul, often strongly reflecting trendy early-'70s sweet soul sounds from Philadelphia, though a few tracks postdate the mid-'70s, with one hailing from as late as 2002. There are some nice cuts that move away from that vibe, though, like Debra Johnson's previously unissued "To Get Love You've Got to Bring Love," which recalls Betty Everett's Vee Jay sides, though perhaps with more contemporary production; Sam Nesbit's gritty "Chase Those Clouds Away," which takes some cues from Young-Holt Unlimited's "Soulful Strut"; and Idris Muhammad's "I'm a Believer," which with its strong jazz-gospel flavor is the most distinctive track on the disc. ~ Richie Unterberger
Be The First To Write A Review
E1 Distribution (USA)
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.