CD Sweet Soul Music: 1961 (CD 4340950),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Sweet Soul Music: 1961
1. Watusi, The - The Vibrations
2. Shop Around - The Miracles
3. All in My Mind - Maxine Brown
4. Will You Love Me Tomorrow? - The Shirelles
5. (I Don't Know Why) But I Do - Clarence "Frogman" Henry
6. You Can Have Her - Roy Hamilton
7. Rainin' in My Heart - Slim Harpo
8. I Don't Want to Cry - Chuck Jackson
9. Hide Away - Freddy King
10. Gee Whiz (Look at His Eyes) - Carla Thomas
11. Some Kind of Wonderful - The Drifters
12. Big Boss Man - Jimmy Reed
13. Blue Moon - The Marcels
14. Daddy's Home - Shep & the Limelites
15. Mother-In-Law - Ernie K-Doe
16. Driving Wheel - Junior Parker
17. Tossin' and Turnin' - Bobby Lewis
18. Every Beat of My Heart - Gladys Knight & the Pips
19. Stand by Me - Ben E. King
20. Raindrops - Dee Clark
21. My True Story - The Jive Five
22. It's Gonna Work out Fine - Ike & Tina Turner
23. Last Night - The Mar-Keys
24. I Like It Like That, Pt. 1 - Chris Kenner
25. Little Bit of Soap, A - The Jarmels
26. Let the Four Winds Blow - Fats Domino
27. Just out of Reach (Of My Two Open Arms) - Solomon Burke
28. Ya Ya - Lee Dorsey
29. Please Mr. Postman - The Marvelettes
30. Gypsy Woman - The Impressions
31. Turn on Your Love Light - Bobby "Blue" Bland
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 16867
Dave Booth (Reissue)
Liner Note Authors: Colin Escott; Dave Booth.
The year 1961 ushered in more than just a new decade -- it heralded a new era in black popular music as the gritty, street-smart sound of postwar R&B gave way to the smooth, sophisticated approach spearheaded by Motown Records. The first entry in Bear Family's ten-volume Sweet Soul Music lays the foundation for the transformation to follow, cherry picking formative classics from then-fledgling Motown (the Miracles' "Shop Around") and Stax (Carla Thomas' "Shop Around"), the Memphis label that would prove its greatest creative rival -- spanning across the U.S., from New Orleans (Ernie K-Doe's "Mother-in-Law") to Chicago (the Impressions' "Gypsy Woman") to New York City (the Shirelles' "Will You Love Me Tomorrow"), the collection also encompasses all of the major U.S. R&B labels, negotiating the licensing snafus that undermine these types of anthologies to offer a true panoramic overview of soul's epic scope and scale. And it's packaged with Bear Family's usual attention to detail -- the mastering is pristine (better than has ever been heard on even the major artists) and the accompanying booklets are authoritative (averaging 60 pages in length, stuffed with color photos, track-by-track commentary, and related recording data). The result is an anthology series that's as educational as it is entertaining. ~ Jason Ankeny
Be The First To Write A Review
Bear Family Records (Germany) BCD 16867
Infinity Entertainment Gr
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.