CD Sweet Soul Music: 1967  (CD 4680753),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Sweet Soul Music: 1967 
1. Are You Lonely for Me - Freddie Scott
2. Mercy, Mercy, Mercy - Cannonball Adderley
3. Funky Broadway, Pt. 1 - Dyke & the Blazers
4. Girls Are Out to Get You - The Fascinations
5. Sweet Soul Music - Arthur Conley
6. Nothing Takes the Place of You - Toussaint McCall
7. Jimmy Mack - Martha Reeves & The Vandellas
8. She's Looking Good - Rodger Collins
9. Eight Men, Four Woman - O.V. Wright
10. Tramp - Otis Redding/Carla Thomas
11. Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell
12. Respect - Aretha Franklin
13. Make Me Yours - Bettye Swann
14. Baby Please Come Back Home - J.J. Barnes
15. Soul Finger - Bar-Kays
16. I Was Made to Love Her - Stevie Wonder
17. Some Kind of Wonderful - Soul Brothers Six
18. Hypnotized - Linda Jones
19. Come on Sock It to Me - Syl Johnson
20. (I Wanna) Testify - The Parliaments
21. Cold Sweat, Pt. 1 - James Brown & His Famous Flames
22. Get on Up - The Esquires
23. (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher - Jackie Wilson
24. Dirty Man - Laura Lee
25. Expressway to Your Heart - The Soul Survivors
26. Soul Man - Sam & Dave
27. I Heard It Through the Grapevine - Gladys Knight & the Pips
28. Piece of My Heart - Erma Franklin
29. Skinny Legs and All - Joe Tex
30. Tell Mama - Etta James
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 69723
Dave Booth (Reissue)
Liner Note Author: Bill Dahl.
A sequel of sorts to Bear Family's amazing R&B series Blowin' the Fuse -- which covered the growth of R&B from 1945 to 1960 and its evolution into soul -- the Sweet Soul Music series picks things up from there, and charts the unfolding of soul music in all of its incarnations from 1961 to 1970 through ten wonderfully packaged and assembled sets arranged chronologically and drawing on all of the music's major players, from Motown and Chess to Stax and Atlantic and beyond. It's an impressive achievement in licensing and vision, and each volume features Bear Family's usual care and attention to detail, but what makes it all work, of course, is the music, which is as delightful to hear as it is historically vital. This volume covers the year 1967 and includes classics like Martha & the Vandellas' "Jimmy Mack," Aretha Franklin's "Respect," the Parliaments' "(I Wanna) Testify," Etta James' "Tell Mama," and so much more. Every track shines and reveals new joys by affiliation -- listening to these 30 sides is like time traveling back to a beautiful summer's night and a long drive with the top down. This is what Bear Family does so well, turning out collections of essential music lovingly assembled, remastered, and restored. Sweet is exactly the right word for each of the ten volumes in this series. ~ Steve Leggett
Be The First To Write A Review
Bear Family Records (Germany) 69723
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.