CD The UK Sue Label Story, Vol. 4 (CD 113348),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
The UK Sue Label Story, Vol. 4
1. Good Time Tonight - The Soul Sisters
2. Fool in Love, A - Ike & Tina Turner
3. De Da I Love You, La - Inez & Charlie Foxx
4. I Put a Spell on You - Screamin' Jay Hawkins
5. Down the Aisle - Patti Labelle & the Bluebelles
6. Rockin' Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Flu, Pt. I - Huey "Piano" Smith & the Clowns
7. Odds and Ends - Jimmy Reed
8. Doodlin' - Baby Washington
9. Steal Your Heart Away - Bobby Parker
10. Lost in a Dream - Buster Brown
11. Pork Chops - The Dorsets
12. Lenny Goofed - The Naturals
13. Knocking at Your Door - Elmore James
14. Love Call - Gladys Knight & the Pips
15. So Far Away - Hank Jacobs
16. Strength to Be Strong, The - Claudine Clark
17. Stepping Stone (aka You're Fooling Me) - Anglos
18. I Stand Accused - Jerry Butler
19. Whip, The (aka Flea Pot) - Alexander Jackson & The Turkeys
20. Warm and Tender Love - Joe Haywood
21. Find Out What's Happening - Spidells/Billy Lockridge
22. Dance What You Wanna - Little Richard
23. I'm Dedicating My Life - Danny White & Linda Nail
24. You Make Me Feel So Good - Little Ann/Tarheel Slim
25. Goin' Home - Rosco Gordon
26. 'Round Midnight - Jimmy McGriff
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 258
Liner Note Author: Mike Atherton.
Guy Stevens, the noted British producer, record collector, and all-around mad genius, ran the U.K. branch of Sue Records between 1963 and 1967, and used it as a soapbox for championing classic R&B obscurities and U.S. soul hits that had somehow failed to cross the Atlantic. During Stevens' tenure with Sue, three UK Sue Label Story LPs were issued, collecting some of his fave rave sides released by the label, and a fourth album had been promised before Stevens parted ways with the firm and John E. Abbey took over. Mike Atherton and Tony Rounce of Kent/Ace Records, a company very much in the mold of the British Sue imprint, are R&B mavens who'd long wondered what that phantom Sue Label Story album would have been like, and with that in mind they compiled this disc, featuring a whopping 26 songs that were either issued by Sue in its salad days or were recorded by artists known to be high in the Stevens pantheon. The UK Sue Label Story, Vol. 4 offers a beautiful crazy quilt of blues, soul, and R&B sounds, from the gutbucket guitar of Elmore James to the smooth, passionate vocals of Jerry Butler and on to the jazzy accents of the Naturals, with plenty of other stops along the way. While a few tunes here will be familiar to folks with a passing interest in vintage R&B (most notably Screamin' Jay Hawkins' epochal "I Put a Spell on You"; Ike & Tina Turner's first hit, "A Fool in Love"; and the joyous "Rockin' Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Flu" by Huey "Piano" Smith & the Clowns), this set is dominated by rare tunes and less-known releases from important artists, such as the good and greasy "Pork Chops" by the Dorsets, Claudine Clark's pleading "The Strength to Be Strong," the rockin' "Dance What You Wanna" from Little Richard, the smart and sensual "Doodlin'" by Baby Washington, and Jimmy McGriff's groovelicious cover of "'Round Midnight." It's anyone's guess how close The UK Sue Label Story, Vol. 4 comes to what Guy Stevens himself would have compiled, but it's a sure bet he would have enjoyed listening to this disc -- it's a fine collection of classic R&B that should make any soul collector smile. ~ Mark Deming
Be The First To Write A Review
E1 Distribution (USA)
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.