CD Atlantic Records 50 Years: The Gold Anniversary (CD 411538),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Atlantic Records 50 Years: The Gold Anniversary
0. DISC 1:
1. Yakety Yak - The Coasters
2. What'd I Say - Ray Charles
3. Mack the Knife - Bobby Darin
4. Stand by Me - Ben E. King
5. In the Midnight Hour - Wilson Pickett
6. I Got You Babe - Sonny Bono/Cher/Sonny & Cher
7. When a Man Loves a Woman - Percy Sledge
8. Respect - Aretha Franklin
9. Soul Man - Sam & Dave
10. (Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay - Otis Redding
11. Sunshine of Your Love - Cream
12. Suite: Judy Blue Eyes - David Crosby/Graham Nash/Stephen Stills/Crosby, Stills & Nash
13. Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin
14. Brown Sugar - The Rolling Stones
0. DISC 2:
1. Layla - Derek & the Dominos
2. Roundabout - Yes
3. Freak, Le - Chic
4. We Are Family - Sister Sledge
5. Stop Draggin' My Heart Around - Stevie Nicks/Tom Petty
6. In the Air Tonight - Phil Collins
7. I Want to Know What Love Is - Foreigner
8. Wind Beneath My Wings - Bette Midler
9. Silent All These Years - Tori Amos
10. Baby - Brandy
11. Hold My Hand - Hootie & the Blowfish
12. Who Will Save Your Soul - Jewel
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 83088
Producers include: Ahmet Ertegun, Jerry Wexler, Jimmy Miller, Nile Rodgers, Arif Mardin.
Includes liner notes by Dave Marsh.
All tracks have been digitally remastered using HDCD technology.
Personnel: Jimmy Page (guitar).
Liner Note Author: Dave Marsh .
Unknown Contributor Role: Ted Jensen.
Adequately covering the rich legacy of Atlantic Records' first 50 years over only two CDs is an impossible task, even concentrating only on rock and R&B, so it would be difficult to expect Atlantic Records 50 Years: Gold Anniversary to offer anything more than a cursory overview. The compilation does illustrate the incredible depth and diversity of talent that the label has maintained over the years, even if it doesn't come anywhere near a coherent presentation of that talent. Instead, 50 Years skims a sampling of some of the best and best-known songs from throughout the company's history. The first disc concentrates primarily on Atlantic's rich catalog of R&B and soul music from the '50s and '60s (a greater portion of which easily filled a hugely entertaining nine-CD box set) and moves into seminal rock legends like Cream, CSNY, Led Zeppelin, and the Rolling Stones -- all represented by only one song apiece. The second disc is wildly varied, featuring prog-rock from Yes, a couple of disco hits, and mainstream pop/rock from the '80s, as well as a few selections from Atlantic's most popular '90s artists (Tori Amos, Hootie and the Blowfish, Brandy, Jewel). So the problem certainly isn't with the quality of the music; it's just that there are so many different musical styles represented here that the set can't present them in any sort of context. Nearly all of these artists have a great deal more quality material out there, certainly enough that having one cut from each is hardly a satisfying proposition; moreover, there are various-artists compilations covering most of these styles in more coherent fashion. However, even if it isn't at all unified, Atlantic Records 50 Years undeniably possesses a wealth of great music. ~ Steve Huey
Be The First To Write A Review
Atlantic (Label) 83088
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright