CD Freedom Is a Constant Struggle (Songs of the Mississippi Civil Rights Movement (CD 348101),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Freedom Is a Constant Struggle (Songs of the Mississippi Civil Rights Movement
0. DISC 1:
1. Hey Nelly Nelly - Judy Collins
2. Here's to the State of Mississippi - Phil Ochs
3. Ballad of Medgar Evers - The SNCC Freedom Singers
4. Death of Medgar Evers - Donal Leace
5. Only a Pawn in Their Game - Bob Dylan
6. Too Many Martyrs - Kim & Reggie Harris
7. Blowin' in the Wind - Peter, Paul and Mary
8. It Isn't Nice - Judy Collins
9. Ain't Gonna Let Nobody Turn Me Around - Julius Lester
10. Hammer Song - Barbara Dane
11. Going Down to Mississippi - Phil Ochs
12. I'm on My Way - Barbara Dane
13. Thirsty Boots - Eric Andersen
14. Carry It On - Carolyn Hester
15. Wade in the Water - Julius Lester
16. Move on Over - Len Chandler
17. I'm Going to Get My Baby Out of Jail - Len Chandler
18. Waves of Freedom - Eric Andersen
19. This Little Light of Mine - Odetta
20. How Long - Magpie/Kim & Reggie Harris
0. DISC 2:
1. Movin' It On - Odetta
2. Ain't You Got a Right to the Tree of Life - Guy & Candie Carawan
3. Freedom School - Jack Landron
4. Song For Ben Chaney - Jack Landron
5. Goodman, Schwerner & Chaney - Tom Paxton
6. Those Three Are on My Mind - Kim & Reggie Harris/Magpie
7. Michael, Andrew & James - Richard & Mimi Faria
8. I Have Seen Freedom - Si Kahn
9. Three Young Men - Carolyn Hester/David Blume
10. In the Mississippi - SNCC Singers
11. Freedom Is a Constant Struggle - Julius Lester
12. This May Be the Last Time - Bernice Johnson Reagon
13. We Will Not Bow Down to Genocide - Len Chandler
14. You Should've Been Down in Mississippi - Magpie
15. Father's Grave - Jack Landron
16. Mississippi Summer - Si Kahn
17. Fannie Lou Hamer - Sweet Honey in the Rock
18. Summer 64 / Oh Freedom - Greg Trafidlo/Neal Phillips/Robert Cardwell/Voices Of Zion
19. Shadows on the Light - Matthew Jones
20. Ella's Song - Sweet Honey in the Rock
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 1419
Includes liner notes by Susan Erenrich.
Developed by Washington, DC, based Cultural Center For Social Change, this collection single-mindedly presents the music of that special historical summer. Artists who have contributed include Bob Dylan, Judy Collins, Peter, Paul & Mary, Odetta, Tom Paxton, the SNCC Freedom Singers, Sweet Honey in the Rock, Phil Ochs, and many others. The 40 songs on this two-CD set cover 2-1/2 hours, The Toledo Blade said, "Playing these two discs of 40 songs over 2-1/2 hours is like curling up with a good history book." Most songs are period recordings, some are freshly recorded for this collection, and a couple have never before been recorded. ~ Allan Shaw
Sing Out! (11-12/94-1/95, p.126) - "...Susie Erenrich of the Cultural Center for Social Change has produced this 2-CD set of songs from or about the [Civil Rights] movement in Mississippi. Many of the tracks are reissued from 30-year-old recordings and include most of the greatest topical singers and songwriters of that period..."
Be The First To Write A Review
Folk Era Records 1419
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.