CD Woodstock 40 Years On: Back to Yasgur's Farm [Box]  (CD 6257982),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Woodstock 40 Years On: Back to Yasgur's Farm [Box] 
0. DISC 1:
1. Handsome Johnny - Richie Havens
2. Freedom (Motherless Child) - Richie Havens
3. "Choppity Choppity" - John Morris
4. Look Out - Sweetwater
5. Two Worlds - Sweetwater (previously unreleased)
6. Jennifer - Bert Sommer (previously unreleased)
7. And When It's Over - Bert Sommer (previously unreleased)
8. Smile - Bert Sommer (previously unreleased)
9. "There Goes Marilyn! " - John Morris
10. Hang on to a Dream - Tim Hardin (previously unreleased)
11. Simple Song of Freedom - Tim Hardin (previously unreleased)
12. "Flat Blue Acid" - John Morris
13. Raga Puriya-Dhanashri/Gat in Sawarital - Ravi Shankar (previously unreleased)
14. Momma Momma - Melanie (previously unreleased)
15. Beautiful People - Melanie
16. Birthday of the Sun - Melanie
17. Coming into Los Angeles - Arlo Guthrie (previously unreleased)
18. Wheel of Fortune - Arlo Guthrie (previously unreleased)
19. Every Hand in the Land - Arlo Guthrie (previously unreleased)
20. "All You Funny People" - John Morris
0. DISC 2:
1. Joe Hill - Joan Baez
2. Sweet Sir Galahad - Joan Baez
3. Hickory Wind - Joan Baez (previously unreleased)
4. Drug Store Truck Drivin' Man - Jeffrey Shurtleff/Joan Baez
5. "Bring Scully His Asthma Pills" - John Morris
6. "Insulin"/Quill Intro - John Morris
7. They Live the Life - Quill (previously unreleased)
8. That's How I Eat - Quill (previously unreleased)
9. "I Understand Your Wife Is Having a Baby" - Chip Monck
10. Donovan's Reef - Country Joe McDonald (previously unreleased)
11. "Fish" Cheer/I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die Rag, The - Country Joe McDonald
12. Persuasion - Santana
13. Soul Sacrifice - Santana
14. How Have You Been - John Sebastian
15. Rainbows All Over Your Blues - John Sebastian
16. I Had a Dream - John Sebastian
17. Letter, The - The Incredible String Band (previously unreleased)
18. When You Find Out Who You Are - The Incredible String Band (previously unreleased)
19. "She Is Lost" - Chip Monck
0. DISC 3:
1. "We're in Pretty Good Shape" - Chip Monck
2. Going Up the Country - Canned Heat
3. Woodstock Boogie - Canned Heat (previously unreleased)
4. "The Brown Acid Is Not Specifically Too Good" - Chip Monck
5. Blood of the Sun - Mountain (previously unreleased)
6. Theme for an Imaginary Western - Mountain (previously unreleased)
7. For Yasgur's Farm - Mountain (previously unreleased)
8. "For Those of You Who Have Partaken of the Green Acid..." - Chip Monck
9. Green Acid Advice - Country Joe McDonald/Jerry Garcia
10. Dark Star - Grateful Dead (previously unreleased)
11. Green River - Creedence Clearwater Revival
12. Bad Moon Rising - Creedence Clearwater Revival (previously unreleased)
13. I Put a Spell on You - Creedence Clearwater Revival
0. DISC 4:
1. Work Me, Lord - Janis Joplin
2. Ball and Chain - Janis Joplin
3. Medley: Dance to the Music/Music Lover/I Want to Take You Higher - Sly & the Family Stone
4. "The Politics of the Situation" - Abbie Hoffman
5. Amazing Journey - The Who (previously unreleased)
6. Pinball Wizard - The Who (previously unreleased)
7. Abbie Hoffman vs. Pete Townshend
8. We're Not Gonna Take It - The Who (previously unreleased)
9. Other Side of This Life, The - Jefferson Airplane (previously unreleased)
10. Somebody to Love - Jefferson Airplane
11. Won't You Try/Saturday Afternoon - Jefferson Airplane
12. "We Got a Whole Lot of Orange" - Grace Slick
13. Volunteers - Jefferson Airplane
14. "Breakfast in Bed for 400,000" - Wavy Gravy
15. "It Just Keeps Goin'" - John Morris
16. Max Yasgur Speaks - Max Yasgu
0. DISC 5:
1. Feelin' Alright - Joe Cocker/The Grease Band (previously unreleased)
2. Let's Go Get Stoned - Joe Cocker/The Grease Band
3. With a Little Help from My Friends - Joe Cocker/The Grease Band
4. Rainstorm, The
5. Rock & Soul Music - Country Joe & the Fish
6. Love - Country Joe & the Fish (previously unreleased)
7. Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine - Country Joe & the Fish (previously unreleased)
8. Summer Dresses - Country Joe & the Fish (previously unreleased)
9. Silver and Gold - Country Joe & the Fish (previously unreleased)
10. Rock & Soul Music (Reprise) - Country Joe & the Fish (previously unreleased)
11. Leland Mississippi Blues - Johnny Winter (previously unreleased)
12. Mean Town Blues - Johnny Winter
13. You've Made Me So Very Happy - Blood, Sweat & Tears (previously unreleased)
0. DISC 6:
1. Suite: Judy Blue Eyes - Crosby, Stills & Nash
2. Guinnevere - Crosby, Stills & Nash
3. Marrakesh Express - Crosby, Stills & Nash
4. 4 + 20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash
5. Sea of Madness - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
6. Wooden Ships - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
7. No Amount of Loving - The Paul Butterfield Blues Band (previously unreleased)
8. Love March - The Paul Butterfield Blues Band
9. Everything's Gonna Be Alright - The Paul Butterfield Blues Band
10. Get a Job - Sha Na Na (previously unreleased)
11. At the Hop - Sha Na Na
12. Get a Job (Reprise) - Sha Na Na (previously unreleased)
13. Star Spangled Banner/Purple Haze/Woodstock Improvisation, The - Jimi Hendrix
14. Woodstock Farewell - Chip Monck
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 519761
Adapter: Ravi Shankar.
Personnel: John Fogerty (vocals, guitar, harmonica, piano); Alan Wilson , Steve Katz (vocals, guitar, harmonica); Mike Heron, Neil Young (vocals, guitar, piano); R.G. Carlyle (vocals, guitar, bongos); Country Joe McDonald, David Clayton-Thomas, David Crosby, Freddie Stone, Graham Nash, Paul "Dino" Williams , Bert Sommer, Jeffrey Shurtleff, Jerry Garcia, Jimi Hendrix, John Sebastian , Johnny Winter, Jorma Kaukonen, Leslie West, Norman Rogers, Paul Kantner, Pete Townshend, Richie Havens, Arlo Guthrie, Stephen Stills, Tim Hardin, Joan Baez (vocals, guitar); Albert B. Moore (vocals, flute); Bob Hite , Paul Butterfield (vocals, harmonica); Brother Gene Dinwiddie (vocals, tenor saxophone); Cornelius "Snookey" Flowers (vocals, baritone saxophone); Christina McKechnie (vocals, organ); Gregg Rolie, Ron "Pigpen" McKernan, Rose Stone, Sylvester "Sly Stone" Stewart, Tom Constanten, Alex Delzoppo (vocals, keyboards); Marty Balin, Jon Cole, Rob Leonard, Rose Simpson, Alan Cooper, Dennis Greene, Grace Slick, Dave Garrett, Don York, Scott Powell, Ritch Joffe, Janis Joplin, Joe Cocker, John Entwistle, Larry Graham, Roger Daltrey, Tom Fogerty, Daniel Cole, Fred Herrera (vocals); Ralph Towner (guitar, piano); Henry McCullough (guitar, background vocals); Richard Festinger, Harvey Mandel, Henry Gross, Gilles Malkine, John Pilla, Barry Melton, John Till, Bob Weir, Howard "Buzz" Feiten, Carlos Santana (guitar); Ira Stone (electric guitar, harmonica); Ravi Shankar (sitar); Richard Bock, August Burns (cello); Phil Thayer (flute, saxophone, keyboards); Dick Halligan (flute, trombone, keyboards); Jerry Martini (saxophone); Fred Lipsius (alto saxophone, piano); David Sanborn (alto saxophone); Terry Clements (tenor saxophone); Trevor Lawrence (baritone saxophone); Chuck Winfield, Lew Soloff (trumpet, flugelhorn); Jos Chepit Areas (trumpet, congas, timbales, percussion); Keith Johnson , Luis Gasca, Steve Madaio, Cynthia Robinson (trumpet); Jerry Hyman (trombone); Nicky Hopkins (piano); Chris Stainton, Joe Witkin, Mark Kapner, Steve Knight, Richard Kermode (keyboards); Bruce Clarke (bass guitar); Dallas Taylor , Doug Clifford, Norman D. Smart, Alan Malarowitz, Greg Errico, "Uncle" John Turner , Jocko Marcellino, Gregory Leroy Dewey, Adolfo de la Parra, Keith Moon , Michael Shrieve, Mickey Hart, Paul Motian, Phillip Wilson, Spencer Dryden, Steve Booker, Bill Kreutzmann, Mitch Mitchell, Maury Baker, Bobby Colomby, Bruce Rowland (drums); Mike Carabello (congas, timbales, percussion); Geraldo Velez, Elpido "Pete" Cobian, Daniel Ben Zebulon (congas); Alla Rakha (tabla); Juma Sultan (percussion); Alan Spenner, Billy Cox (background vocals).
Audio Mixers: Eddie Kramer; Allen Sides; Vic Anesini; Brian Kehew.
Liner Note Authors: Andy Zax; Bud Scoppa.
Authors: Country Joe McDonald; Lou Yank; Max Yasgu; Michael Lang ; Wesley Pomeroy; Grace Slick; Jack Casady; Jocko Marcellino; Jimi Hendrix; Stu Cook; Barry Melton; Carlos Santana.
Photographers: Tom Miner; Rowland Scherman; Peter Tarnoff; John Dominis; Jason Laure; Dan McCoy; Leonard Eisenberg; Ken Regan; Jim Marshall ; Jason Laur; Peter Tarnoff; Baron Wolman; John Dominis; Henry Diltz; Elliott Landy; Bill Eppridge; Barry Levine; Lisa Law; Charles Harbutt.
Arranger: Jimi Hendrix.
In a year filled with them, Rhino offers its own homage to Woodstock's 40th anniversary by rolling out this lavish six-CD box set. Perhaps the most significant aspect of this set is that it contains tracks by almost every single artist who appeared on the Woodstock stage in their proper sequence. We also hear from artists such as Sweetwater, Tim Hardin, Johnny Winter, Mountain, Ravi Shankar, Quill, the Incredible String Band, the Grateful Dead, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Joe Cocker, and Blood, Sweat & Tears, and, of course, stage announcements by Chip Monck, John Morris, and Wavy Gravy.
The producers researched the original set lists exhaustively and present them here along with the music and their choices. The sound, which was done by Eddie Kramer, is as good as it can possibly get. The book is a monster, loaded with photos and featuring Bud Scoppa's wonderfully researched and presented liner essay, whose chapters account for each day, act by act.
Ultimately, however, it all comes down to the music. While we only get "Dark Star" by the Dead, we get (a bit) more music from the Who. The three tracks by CCR are all monsters, and hearing the five tracks by Crosby, Stills & Nash and then Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young all in correct sequence between BS&T and the Butterfield Blues Band is a treat.
Entertainment Weekly (p.59) - "[With a] trove of unreleased material, some of it -- three tunes from folkie Bert Sommer, the Grateful Dead's beatific 'Dark Star' -- truly breathtaking." -- Grade: B
Dirty Linen (p.48) - "You get it all: Some of the best bands of the 60s, the rantings of Abbie Hoffman, the rain chants, the announcements...outlining all of the fun..."
Record Collector (magazine) (p.92) - 4 stars out of 5 -- "The first real previously-unheard gems come when Tim Hardin wrenches a fragile 'Hang On To A Dream' from his doomed soul, before a rousing 'Sing A Simple Song Of Freedom'..."
Uncut (magazine) - 4 stars out of 5 -- "Space is awarded to Quill, Sweetwater and Mountain, recognising perhaps that this was an even as much about the little guys as it was the stars."
Be The First To Write A Review
Rhino (Label) 519761
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.